Weekly Reflection

As part of my work as Manager, Campus Ministry for the University of Notre Dame Australia I write a weekly refection on the coming Sunday's Gospel and email it to all staff and students of the Fremantle Campus. This then is the weekly blog of those reflections, based on the Gospel readings for Sundays, as per the lectionary of the Roman Missal of Paul VI. Should these reflections find any readership whatsoever, I hope that it is edifying.
The title of my blog is taken from the English translation of Cardinal John Henry Newman's memorial epitaph, which was inscribed on his memorial plaque at the Birmingham Oratory.

Ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem - Through Shadows and Images to Truth

Friday, September 25, 2015

27 September 2015 - 26th Sunday of Ordinary Time

“If anyone gives you a cup of water to drink just because you belong to Christ, then I tell you solemnly, he will most certainly not lose his reward.”

This really is a challenging text. More challenging than we are used to or comfortable with.
So often we nurture amongst ourselves an image of Jesus that is far from the reality as it is presented in the Gospels and here we have Christ speaking in unequivocally harsh terms about the seriousness of sin.
In the first part of this selection from Mark’s Gospel Jesus is open and tolerant of good wherever it is to be found, and so should we be also.  Good is good regardless of who is doing it, or the style in which it comes about.
Jesus’ open and tolerant words regarding the good however take on a strikingly different tone when the topic turns to evil. Evil and wrongdoing are met by Jesus not in a tolerant, understanding manner, but with a certain mercilessness. Anything that is evil must be completely avoided, disregarded and even hated and cut off.
If it will prevent me or others from receiving the love of God, then it must be done away with.
Jesus, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, the Incarnate God who is Love can speak with such severity only concerning items or actions which prevent his love from being known and experienced. Jesus does not direct this to persons at all, but to actions and items which stifle the reception of his love.
What am I holding on to that is preventing me from experiencing God’s love today?

SuscipeThe Prayer of St. Ignatius of Loyola

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding,
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.
You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.
Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace,
that is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment